Instant Pot Spiced Shredded Chicken Tacos and Quick Pickled Onions
A super easy and delicious recipe for tender and flavorful shredded chicken for tacos or salads or whatever you want!
- 1 large red onion halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider OR white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns optional
- 1 jar salsa red or verde or chipotle - your choice!
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts OR thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 to 12 corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro optional topping
- sliced radish optional topping
- queso fresco optional topping
- 1 large avocado optional topping
- Place sliced red onion in a strainer and boil a kettle of water.
- In the jar you're using to store the pickled onion, place vinegar, salt, honey, garlic, and peppercorns. Stir until salt and honey are dissolved.
- Once water boils, slowly pour water over the sliced onion. Blanching them so their slightly tender.
- Give the strainer a little shake to help get rid of excessive water, then add onion to the jar with vinegar mixture. Press into jar until onion is fully submerged. Seal and place in refrigerator for AT LEAST 2 hours before using.
- In an Instant Pot, pour half the jar of salsa and make sure bottom is evenly coated.
- Place chicken on top of salsa, then onion on top of chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine spices (salt through coriander). Season onion and chicken evenly, then top with remaining salsa.
- Seal Instant Pot, then select "Meat/Stew" setting and cook for 90 minutes. Once it's done, let rest for 5 minutes, then release the vent for the steam.
- After the steam settles, remove lid and, using two forks, shred the chicken!
- Serve on tortillas with pickled onions and other toppings! You'll find some of our topping favorites listed above but we encourage you to add whatever your favorite toppings are!
- DIG IN!!!
TO MAKE PALEO: use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas (iceberg lettuce is nice and sturdy and will have a good crunch!) and OMIT any dairy (so no cheese or sour cream as a topping) TO MAKE KETO, aka HOT MELT: follow Paleo instructions above AND make sure to had a generous serving of avocado!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Subscribe to Dinner Answers today for more delicious recipes!