I am lucky enough to have some planted in my garden and it’s going crazy. I’ve had about 4 zucchini so far and YUM, delish! Here are some things you need to know about zucchini: 1) massively low in calories—one large zucchini is only 16 calories! 2) plenty of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, B vitamins, a little vitamin C, and plenty o’ potassium!
Here’s a TIP:
Small to medium-sized zucchinis are most tasty. Look for smooth, unblemished skin and nice dark green color. Tasty zucch’s skin should feel soft, but the zucchini itself should be hard and not squishy (that means it’s past its prime, yuck!)
And a TRICK:
To change things up, I grate my zucchini, sautéing it in garlic and olive oil, and topping it with a little freshly grated Romano cheese and fresh ground pepper. Nice side dish and almost rice-like or pasta-like in texture.
And your RECIPE:
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 2 1/4 cups orzo
- 2 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 15 Kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato seeded and cubed
- 1 1/2 green bell pepper seeded, deribbed and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Prepare orzo according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again very thoroughly. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the zucchini, olives, green onions, celery, tomato, and green bell pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, dill, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the salad and toss to coat well.
- Sprinkle on the feta cheese and toss again. Add the mayonnaise and toss gently.
- Chill at least for 2 hours and bring to room temperature before serving.
Looking for more delicious recipes like this one? Check out our Dinner Answers program today!
I love zucchini’s so this is a great meal for me. But, if you ever feel like sending me a dish-let me know!