As the mercury climbs and our body temps rise along with it, we’re all looking for something to cool us down when it comes time to eat.
You might be tempted to reach for a cold beer, an ice cream cone, or an iced coffee on a hot day and while it may seem like a good idea at the time, they aren’t as cooling as you might think.
In fact, they may actually raise your body’s temperature! It seems cooling while eating or drinking it, but that’s where the cooling down ends.
In the case of ice cream, your body has to work hard to digest that fat. The harder your body has to work to digest something, the warmer it will make you feel.
That cold glass of beer seems like a great idea, but the more alcohol you drink, the more it will cause your body to flush, resulting in your skin heating up.
And iced coffee? The caffeine in there works as a diuretic, making your body warm up due to the loss of fluids. If you’re going to drink that coffee, be sure to balance it out by drinking an extra glass of water.
If you really want to treat your body on a hot day, here are 5 great foods to cool you down, stat!
1. Cucumbers. Due to their high water content, cucumbers are a great thing to put on your plate on a hot summer day.
2. Melons. A nice juicy slice of watermelon just screams summer! These fruits have very high water content and will help to bring your body temperature down. They are also digested easily so your body will appreciate the break.
3. Greens. A big green salad is a great way to cool down while nourishing your body. Like most vegetables and fruits, greens are primarily water and they’re easy to digest.
4. Peppers. When you eat spicy foods, they cause you to sweat. When you sweat, your skin is cooled down. Peppers don’t lower your body temperature, but you will get some relief from the heat due to perspiration.
5. Fish. This is one of my favorite sources of protein during the summer months. I like steak as much as the next guy, but when it’s hot outside, I go for a nice light fish. Fish will provide you with lots of protein, but it’s not as difficult to digest as beef or pork.
And don’t forget, guys, keep the water in you when it’s hot outside! You don’t want to get dehydrated!
Looking for recipes that will help you cool down? Check out our Dinner Answers program today!