Another week, another CSA delivery! I look forward to my box of fresh local produce every week, but I am well aware that there are many of you out there who might not have had a chance to finish all of last week’s veggies before getting your new load.
Today we’re going to go over some tips to make sure you get the very most out of your CSA veggies. There should be nothing going to waste!
1. Store it all properly. Don’t just shove the food in the fridge all willy nilly. That’s not going to help you make good use of those beautiful fruits and veggies! Take the time to put them away where they belong as soon as you receive them.
2. Educate yourself. If you see items in your box that look like alien beings from other planets, take the time to ask your farmer what they are, and how to use them. Don’t let them go bad! Teach yourself how to use them! (Google will help you.)
3. Use up perishable items first. Certain items in your delivery are going to need to be used up right away (basil for instance) while others can last a lot longer (squash). Try to plan your meals around which items are going to go bad first.
5. Make soup. I don’t care what you got in that box, you can make soup out of it. Challenge me! I dare you! 🙂 Search the Internet for soup recipes involving the items you have too much of, and I’m sure you’ll find many new soup contenders. My famous Mitochondria Miracle Soup will make use of much of your chard, kale, celery, and other veggies. Plus it’s absolutely delicious!
6. Get saucy! Make a big batch of sauce with those veggies! Simmer down some tomatoes with onion and garlic, then just toss in grated whatever you have! Carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, white potato… they will all work. Season as you like and add in any meat you want.
Now you’ll have no shortage of ways to use up that order of veggies before your next one arrives!
For help with more recipes to use up those lovely veggies, subscribe to Dinner Answers today!