Also known as Cabbage Flower, cauliflower is a member of the Brassica family of veggies, well-known for their cancer fighting capabilities. Mon petit chou means (in French, chou is pronounced “shoe”) “my little cauliflower” and is a term of endearment! How do you like that?
Here’s today’s TRICK:
Take the stem off your cauliflower and keep it in an opened plastic bag in the fridge. It will last a good week, maybe longer!
And here’s a TIP:
To tone down the smell of cauliflower cooking, add a few celery seeds or some celery leaves to your cooking water. It won’t pick up the celery’s flavor, but it will certainly tame the smell!
And your RECIPE:
Bacon and Cauliflower Stir-Fry
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 large shallot minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large avocados pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until dark brown and very crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate; set aside. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cauliflower, shallot, salt and pepper; cook for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is slightly tender. In a large bowl, combine bacon, cauliflower mixture and avocados.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice and olive oil; pour mixture over bacon/cauliflower stir-fry. Serve stir-fry over a bed of baby spinach.
Want more great recipes like this one? (you know you do!) Check out Dinner Answers here!