Cream of Butternut Bisque
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 3/4 cups butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup half and half
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook till onion is translucent.
- Add butternut to onion and cook just a minute. Now add the chicken broth, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer (covered) till squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the squash in the saucepan. If you like your soup really smooth, you can puree it in batches in a food processor or blender, but if you like a little more texture, use the potato masher. Mash or process to desired consistency.
- Add squash back to saucepan (if you used your blender or processor) otherwise, just add the spices and half and half and bring soup to almost boiling point (but don’t boil it or you will curdle the soup). Serve hot.
LC SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a big spinach salad. SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Add whole grain rolls.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!