French Onion Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup red wine or use red grape juice, splash of vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- In a saucepan, heat together the olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper them to taste, and turn the heat down to medium, medium-low thereabouts. You want the onions to cook slowly and caramelize. This step takes a good 20 to 30 minutes (can be done the night before). Make sure you stir them often so they won’t stick and burn.
- Add the wine, balsamic vinegar, beef broth and water; bring to a boil. Add the thyme, taste and correct the seasoning adding salt and pepper as necessary. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To serve, preheat the broiler. Divvy up the soup into 4 good sized, oven proof and broiler proof soup bowls, placed on a baking sheet. Now evenly distribute the croutons on top of the soup and sprinkle the Swiss cheese on top of that. Broil the tops of the soups till cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Serve immediately.
LC SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a big spinach salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!