Forget about Hakuna Matata meaning “no worries!” I say when it comes to the kitchen, it’s more like Hakuna Frittata! Eggs make their way to my dinner table on a regular basis.
Eggs are my hero, really. Nothing can save a frazzled parent like a humble little egg. In its hard-boiled form, you have a great filling for lettuce leaves or sandwiches, a protein to add to a spinach salad, or a perfectly wrapped lunchbox snack. I boil my eggs by the dozen and keep them in their carton in the fridge to take out as I need them. SO convenient!
(In case you haven’t mastered the art of boiling an egg: Place eggs in a pot and cover with water. When water starts to boil, turn off the heat and leave the pot on the hot burner for ten minutes. Then remove and submerge eggs in cold water.)
Eggs are also a great inexpensive meat alternative and they can help stretch your grocery budget even further by giving you a great way to use up leftovers. Enter the frittata!
Frittata sounds fancy, but trust me, folks, these things are dead easy to make. All you need is some eggs, any leftover meat or veggies you have on hand, a handful of cheese, and an oven-safe frying pan.
Making a frittata goes something like this:
1. Preheat the oven to 400
2. Melt some butter or olive oil (NOT extra virgin) in the pan on medium heat
3. Toss your veggies in. I like the combo of onion, mushroom, zucchini, peppers, and broccoli but you can use whatever you like. If you’re not using leftovers (which you just need to cook until they’re heated through), cook the veggies until they’re tender.
4. Put in leftover meat if you like. Bacon or ham are excellent options.
5. In a separate bowl, beat your eggs (I usually use six) and pour them over the vegetables
6. Let that cook for a few minutes, resisting the urge to stir.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grated cheddar cheese if that floats your boat
8. Put the pan in the oven and let cook for about 7 minutes or until it’s golden and set.
Enjoy with a great big salad!
Our Dinner Answers program includes Paleo Menus with more yummy egg recipes, pick yours up today!