Thanksgiving may be over, but that doesn’t mean our consumption of this superfood should be. This gigantic gourd is filled to its stem with beta carotene, alpha-carotene, lycopene—all helpful carotenoids to help you with heart health and lower your risk of several chronic diseases.
Here’s a TIP:
You can buy canned pumpkin year-round. It’s inexpensive and easy to come by. Add it to your beef stew, hide it in your mac and cheese, make pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie. This superfood is off the hook!
Here’s a TRICK:
Look for 100% pumpkin. Don’t be duped and buy “pumpkin pie filling”. You’ll be getting stuff you don’t want. The pumpkin puree is all that needs to be in the can.
And Your RECIPE:
Smashing Pumpkin Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree sometimes called 100% pumpkin NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and saute onions.
- Cook till very soft and add remaining ingredients, except milk.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add milk and continue to cook (but not boil–it will break) for another 5 minutes