Did you know 1 pound dry packaged beans = 2 cups dry = 6 cups cooked beans. Buying dried beans and preparing them yourself is a great way to save money at the grocery store as well. Cooked beans will store nicely in your refrigerator for 4 days and you can freeze them for up to 6 months.
Here’s Today’s TRICK:
Soaking your beans leaches some of the gas producing properties out of the bean. But for this to work, you need to discard the soaking water and replenish it with fresh water before cooking. The longer you soak them, the less gassy beans will be.
Here’s a TIP:
Cook your beans in a crockpot and you can save the soaking step. However, I still recommend rinsing them a few times before you cook them. Remember, this is a raw agricultural product and they need careful cleaning.
And Your RECIPE:
Easy Crock Pot Chili
- 2 cups onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 4.25-oz. can diced green peppers or chilies
- 1 14.5-oz. can peeled whole tomatoes (up to 2 cans if you wish)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cooked ground turkey meat
- 2 16-oz. cans black beans (or use 3 cups homemade)
- Throw everything in a crock pot and cook on low heat setting for 7 hours.