This particular berry is my personal favorite; delicious, fragrant sweet raspberries make my mouth water! From the flavor to the texture to the smell, how can you not just love them?
But the real beauty of raspberries is their nutritionally powerful punch. Ellagic acid is the mighty antioxidant found in this berry that makes it particularly potent and cancer fighting. Additionally the flavonoids found in raspberries not only help fight cancer, but fungal cooties too as they are a powerful antifungal.
Here’s today’s TRICK:
Don’t wash these highly permeable berries till just before you are ready to use them or they will get moldy quickly.
Here’s a TIP:
If you’re lucky enough to have a basket of fresh raspberries, toss them in your dinner salad with whatever else you’ve got in there. A great combo is walnuts, raspberries and my vinaigrette with a red leaf lettuce—sublime and wonderful. (my vinaigrette is one clove pressed garlic with a 3:1 balsamic vinegar to extra virgin olive oil)
And your RECIPE (from Saving Dinner The Vegetarian Way):
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces (or try baby spinach!)
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup English cucumber sliced
- 2 cups raspberries reserving 2 tablespoons for dressing
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raspberries
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Blend dressing ingredients in blender. Toss greens and berries with dressing and serve immediately.