I love the ease and accomplishment of getting dinner on the table fast. One of the things I learned about getting done quickly is that those boxed mixes don’t exactly taste great. Not only that, the ingredients! I don’t know what half that stuff is. Good grief. And then there is the sodium and the expense of it all. Doesn’t make sense.
That is until you make your OWN mixes. This is one way to get rid of the chemicals, keep expenses down and get dinner done FAST. Here are a few of my healthy mixes–
One little caveat–the rice mix uses dried onion soup in an envelope. I’m not wild about that particular item, but in a pinch, it works fine.
- 1 cup dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin I actually add an extra tablespoon—we love cumin
- 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Combine all ingredients and store in a cool, dry place.
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine ingredients and store in a sealable container or zipper topped plastic bag. This will keep for 2 months in the pantry, however, I would personally store in the fridge because of the cheese; plus it will last longer. Mark the date on the zipper topped bag with your Sharpie pen. This recipe doubles and triples well.
Homemade Shake and Bake
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients and store in a sealable container or zipper topped plastic bag. This will keep up to 4 months in the pantry, depending on the humidity (you may just want to keep it in the freezer). This recipe will also double or triple well.
Homemade Flavored Rice Mixes
- 4 cups uncooked rice I always use brown rice
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients together and store in a zipper topped plastic bag or sealable container. This will keep up to 4 months if stored in a cool, dark and dry place. With brown rice, you may want to keep it in the freezer.
To make Spanish Rice Mix, substitute 1/2 cup Taco Seasoning (see recipe above) for envelope of onion soup.