This biggest cruciferous veggie, there’s a lot more to cabbage than just coleslaw. When a dear friend of mine gave birth to a stillborn baby, her doctor told her to place cabbage leaves in her bra to help dry up her milk. It’s an excellent source for vitamin C, fiber of course, folate, manganese, and omega 3 fatty acids.
Cabbage is a potent veggie and an important part of your diet. Diets rich in cruciferous veggies mean your cancer risk goes down—research shows that increased intake of all cruciferous veggies lowers your chances of getting stomach, bladder, lung, and colon cancer.
Here’s today’s TRICK:
Cut your cabbage in quarters before cutting up to use (unless you’re making cabbage rolls!). Having the cabbage quartered makes it easier to cut up and use. Store by wrapping plastic wrap around the cut pieces. Use up within a few days to prevent too much vitamin C loss.
Here’s a TIP:
Buy a whole head of cabbage and chop it yourself for stir-fries, soups, and salads. As soon as cabbage is shredded, it begins to lose the vitamin C.
And your RECIPE:
Grilled Fish on Cilantro Chili Slaw
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 6-oz. can diced green chilies
- 4 mahi-mahi fillets or other solid white fish
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly slivered red onion rinsed
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, cumin seed, chilies, cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Rinse fish and pat dry. In a large, heavy zip-lock plastic bag, combine fish and 1/4 cup of the vinegar mixture; let stand, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion and 1/4 cup of the vinegar mixture. Add salt to taste.
- Lift fish from marinade (discard marinade) and place on a preheated, oiled grill over high heat; close lid on gas grill.
- Cook fish, turning once, until barely opaque but still moist in center (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Mound cilantro-chili slaw equally on four dinner plates. Top each with a piece of the grilled fish; drizzle remaining marinade equally over fish.