Here’s today’s TRICK:
When you’re using fresh herbs, use kitchen scissors to snip them and skip the knife and cutting board which crushes them. Kitchen scissors should be standard issue in any kitchen. I couldn’t live without mine!
And here’s a TIP:
When storing tender, leafy herbs like basil, cilantro, dill and the like, snip the ends off and store in the fridge in a vase of water. Don’t use a water glass; it will tip over from the top heavy weight of the herbs (ask me how I know!). Your herbs will appreciate the delicate treatment and reward you with freshness when it’s time to cook!
And your RECIPE:
Nacho Stuffed Shells
- 9 ounces jumbo shells 32 to 36 shells, uncooked
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 ounce low sodium taco seasoning about 3/4 of a 1.25-oz. package
- 3/4 cup water
- 12 ounces canned refried beans with chilies
- 3/4 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Picante sauce
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- 1.5 ounces sliced ripe olives drained
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, saute beef in a large skillet until browned; drain well. Add taco seasoning mix and water; simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Add beans and cheese. Cook until smooth and well blended. When pasta is done, drain well. Fill shells with beef mixture (1 to 2 tablespoons per shell).
- Combine Picante sauce and tomato sauce in a saucepan. Cook until heated, stirring occasionally. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking pan that has been coated lightly with olive oil.
- Place filled shells side by side on top of sauce; pour remaining sauce evenly over shells. Sprinkle with olives. Cover with aluminum foil; bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish as desired.
PS–You can receive delicious menus (complete with shopping lists!) like this delivered right to your email inbox by subscribing to Dinner Answers today!